Touring, According to Wallace

In David Foster Wallace’s piece, “Consider the Lobster,” he makes a rather bold statement:  “To be a mass tourist, for me, is to become a pure late-date American: alien, ignorant, greedy for something you cannot ever have, disappointed in a way you can never admit…It is to impose yourself on places that in all non-economic ways would be better, realer, without you.”
 

As an avid traveler, I tend to disagree with Wallace’s point of view.  His statement appears to be one of subjectivity; I mean depending on who you are/where you’ve been, your opinion could vary widely. I have spent a good portion of my life touring cities around the world, and never once have I felt “greedy for something [I] cannot ever have.” In fact, I feel quite the opposite. Every time I visit a new part of the world, I feel so thankful and blessed to experience such a journey – trying local foods, seeing the beautiful scenery, exploring ancient areas, meeting new people, etc. I don’t feel as though I’m imposing on something, particularly when you’re (me) consistently respectful of the surrounding area. I think it’s important to see other regions of the world in order to build a better understanding of the planet we live in and the people who inhabit it.
Also, in places where you don’t pay money to visit, such as beaches, how would those areas be better without our presence? Shouldn’t we be able to see and swim and enjoy such places, especially if there is nothing harmful to the environment occurring? How are we supposed to take care of our planet and appreciate it when we can’t even see, let alone fathom, what parts of it are like? What about trails and hikes through nature? How is our simple presence – a walk through the woods – affecting anyone SO negatively? If you ask me, Wallace’s statement is a bit harsh. Don’t get me wrong, if tourists are littering and outright dirty, then that’s clearly an issue. However Wallace’s statement is an overgeneralization, one that I don’t really agree with.

 some places I've visited....


Comments

  1. Well done Rima! I love the way you structured your blog with the quote first, then a very relatable gif, and after that your opinion and finished it off with pictures of your travels. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guitar and the Bobcat

English as the Official Language?

Feminist Criticism - The Great Gatsby