Barbie Reflection


Growing up as a kid, I adored my Barbies. I bought them clothes and houses and little mini-pools. I lived in Barbie’s world. But as I progressed through my youth, I became envious of her long blonde hair and blue eyes. I began to understand the implications Barbie has on the real world – how she misrepresents women and serves as the unrealistic beauty ideal.  As Emily Prager puts it, “there are millions of women who are subliminally sure that a thirty-nine-inch bust and a twenty-three-inch waist are the epitome of lovability.” So much emphasis placed on this little piece of plastic. But people don’t see her as simply a piece of plastic – she is viewed as so much more.

Mattel constantly updates and refurbishes Barbie’s appearance, releasing new dolls that each represent something. Pictured below is the evolution of Barbie’s looks as she is changed to fit the “in,” popular style of
the time period.
 


After the great debate and heavy criticism regarding Barbie’s bleach-blonde, blue-eyed, super skinny appearance, Mattel began to create and release new dolls. In order to appeal to the masses and ward off further negative publicity, Mattel has made dolls of varying race, size, ethnicity, etc… ultimately a more diverse Barbie.
Although I’m sure these new dolls will be appreciated by many, I don’t understand why the company couldn’t have done this sooner. In my opinion, it’s far too late. Barbie still is, and always will be, the epitome of sex symbols. This is made all the more worse, considering Barbie’s creator was a man.

Comments

  1. I did enjoy this blog (you have good phrasing), but I found myself questioning your views more often than not. I have a gripe with your claim that Mattel should have made Barbie more diverse sooner. Why should Mattel - a corporation focused solely on profits - attempt to create new products for the middle class "sooner?"
    I think the move for more diversity in Barbie dolls may have been purely economic. In 1959, the income gap between white Americans and those Americans of other backgrounds was gigantic, but now it's not, which makes the operation economically viable.
    I feel that the movement towards greater diversity in general fails to account for cultural differences at the time. For example, in some popular WWII video games, the push for diversity has allowed black Nazi soldiers to become a reality. What do you think? Is diversity for diversity's sake a good thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Great graphics Rima! Keep it up, proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guitar and the Bobcat

English as the Official Language?

Feminist Criticism - The Great Gatsby